CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Integrative Counselling
Tuesdays 9.30 – 4.45pm, commencing Tuesday 13th September 2022
Gamlingay Eco Hub, Gamlingay
£4100 (Yr 1: £2050 and Yr 2: £2050)
Kate Williams, MBACP (Accred) and Charlotte Carroll, MBACP
Day: Tuesdays 9.30 – 4.45pm, commencing Tuesday 13th September 2022
Venue: Gamlingay Eco Hub, Gamlingay
Length: 2 years
Cost: £4100 (Yr 1: £2050 and Yr 2: £2050)
Tutors: Kate Williams, MBACP (Accred) and Charlotte Carroll, MBACP
This training is delivered by experienced counsellors, tutors and supervisors, working in the field of counselling and psychotherapy, who will accompany you through your journey on this integrative training. At the end of the diploma you will be confident with a wide range of client issues, working within an agency setting; assessing and working with risk, making appropriate and timely referrals, and working within an integrative theoretical framework.
Our diploma level training is not just a theoretical based course; it is deeply experiential leading to a process of change and transformation necessary for working with clients at relational depth. We endeavour to create a warm and safe environment where you can reflect, express and create.
This course is relational in nature; the relationship being at the heart of the encounter. You will gain a deeper grounding in: psychodynamic, person-centred and existential theories whilst working with the creative arts to facilitate your own journey of growth and exploration supporting you to make the unconscious, conscious. Our tutors are all integrative in their own training.
- Professional practice: professional boundaries and the therapeutic frame, ethics, the legal frame, supervision, working with risk and suicide, organisational policies and procedures, working with difference, assessment and referral will all be explored in depth in lectures, small groups, skills practice and use of case studies.
- Mental health: peer-led presentations are at the heart of this module where you’ll have the opportunity to research a mental health topic of your choice. You’ll also learn about evaluation tools, mental health across the 3 modalities, referring to specialist services, working with clients on medication and mental health first aid skills.
- Theory: where you will deepen your understanding of person-centred, psychodynamic and existential theories within the Clarkson’s Five Relationship Model.
- Self-awareness: being experiential in nature this diploma will provide you with ample opportunity to explore your intra-relational processes, early experiences and relational patterns. We use the creative arts, imagery, sandtray and psychodrama to facilitate your development. Working with the creative arts can access parts of the psyche that talking can’t always reach – it’s often full of surprises and ‘a-ha’ moments. It can also support you to bring the creative arts into your counselling work should you wish and is particularly useful for those looking into working with children.
- Reflective Practice Group: you’ll engage in a Reflective Practice Group from Easter of year one once placement commences. This group will support your development as a counsellor linking theory to practice, growing in confidence and preparing you for life after the diploma.
- Group Process: each week you’ll spend an hour in a process group providing you with the opportunity to explore your inter-relational dynamics and your own process. Process group can be both challenging and rewarding.
Applicants needs to be 23 or over and have 180 hours of Counselling training at certificate level in order to apply for the diploma. We can accept prior learning on a case by case basis; please contact Kate at email@example.com
See Level 4 brochure for additional entry requirements.
There are two forms of assessment: internal assessment and external assessment.
Internal Assessment:- You will compile a portfolio during the course which will be submitted in the final term.
You will gain this evidence for the seven learning outcomes in a number of ways:
- Weekly journals
- Assignments and Self Reviews
- Inclass assignments
- Student-led presentations
- Tutor feedback and peer feedback
- Book Reviews
- Various worksheets
- 100 client hours
- 40 hours personal therapy
There is an expectation that journals and assignments are typed. You can download a Candidate Guide detailing CPCAB’s seven learning outcomes and you will be well supported by your tutor throughout the course.
External Assessment: During the year 2 you will complete a written case review based on one client which will be submitted to CPCAB for marking. Both internal and external assessments MUST pass to gain your diploma.
Level 4 learners will become student members of BACP (The British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists) and upon completion of the course can gain individual membership status with the BACP. Students can apply for paid work. We’ve had student secure paid work in CHUMS, private and state schools, MIND, tutor roles, NHS, counselling agencies and their own private practice.
Our diploma isn’t a BACP Accredited course. This means that once qualified, you will need to sit a BACP Certificate of Proficiency test to evidence that you are a safe and ethical practitioner, within 24 months of completing your diploma.
Gamlingay course email application to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will then hear from us within two weeks of application as to whether your application is successful. If it is, you will then progress to the interview stage.
2021 L4 graduates had their f2f ending!
What our students say
“Words can’t describe what an excellent training this is and what I’ve gained. I’m so glad I chose BCTS to continue my counselling training. The venue is spacious with outside space, the tutors are so supportive and really want the best for us, the learning is challenging yet so rewarding and I particularly loved the psychodrama work where we mapped out our family with group members. I’m a different person leaving to who I was when I started and for this I’ll always be grateful” Sarah
“What a journey this has been; truly transformative. I have learnt so much about myself and feel really confident in working with a wide range of clients. And great news, my placement has offered me paid work – couldn’t be happier!” Jemma
“My expectations have been exceeded on this training – I have enjoyed the variety – the meditation, voice work, creative arts, sandtray – I have discovered so much about myself.”
“Kate and the team of tutors are very supportive and containing. They’ve created an excellent programme and I feel fully prepared to fly the nest. This is a great course that holds personal development at its heart, and I’d recommend it to anyone who wants more than a ‘tick-box’ training.
“I also wanted to thank you for a truly wonderful course. I always refrain from saying things like ‘it changed my life’ but your course really did, and I think although I’m really excited about being a counsellor, what the course has introduced me to in terms of experiential techniques, will change the way I work forever. Meditation, visualisation, using creativity to explore feelings has opened up a whole area I want to learn more about and is where I’m focusing at the moment. Thank you – your course is beautiful.” Claire
“My name is Martha Burling and I am a former Counselling Student with Bedfordshire Centre for Therapeutic Studies (BCTS). I qualified as an Integrative Counsellor in 2019. I am now a Registered Counsellor with my own Private Practice called; Imatter Counselling Therapy Networks. I also work with other organisations as their Self Employed Counsellor namely; Signpost based in Watford, which supports Young People’s mental health issues and the Peace Hospice Care, supporting clients and their families, going through challenges with cancer. I am currently being trained by the Peace Hospice Care as their IAPT Counsellor and also appear on their new website. Such strength in my career would not had taken place without BCTS, where I learned to believe in myself. BCTS, to me is simply the college where Counsellors are made.” Martha