Experiential Psychodynamic Course
This rich 10-week, 50 hour course is a blended online training, with 30 hours of self-study via an online platform and 20 hours via Zoom; 2 hours weekly within a safe group setting. It is also possible to purchase the self-study programme only, which you can work through at your own pace.
The self-study programme is made up of videos, video slide-shows, reflective exercises, conversations with other professionals, creative and embodiment exercises.
- 3 trauma videos: relational, developmental and transgenerational trauma
- Embodiment practices throughout
- Timeline workshop recording
Psychodynamic theory provides a rich backdrop for understanding our clients and can add new dimensions to our client work. It is based on the premise that human behaviour and relationships are shaped by both conscious and unconscious influences, however, mostly unconscious.
Psychodynamic ideas have been expanded and adapted by theorists from Freud to Jung, to Bowlby and differ in many respects but they do hold common tenets:-
- That our thinking and behaviour is driven by process that aren’t fully conscious so a key task for the therapist is to support their client in bringing the unconscious into the conscious
- That past experiences, particularly those from childhood can help us to understand present struggles and difficulties
- That there are themes and patterns in our life that we are often not aware of and that these patterns tend to repeat themselves
- There the different parts of the self can often be in conflict which can lead to depression, anxiety and other mental health conditions and relationship problems
- That relationships with significant others (i.e. parents) will be recreated with the therapist.
This course is for you if:
- You want a deeper understanding of psychodynamic theories to help you understand & work with your clients
- You’d like to gain a working knowledge of key theorists & concepts including how psychodynamic theory informs us to work with trauma
- You would like to work in a more integrative way with your clients including using imagery and the creative arts
- You are interested in the psyche and helping clients make links between their history and current life choices/patterns of relating
- You are interested in opening the next chapter in your personal development and explore your process further in a creative & experiential way
About the course:
I’m passionate about psychodynamic theory and experiential learning and love teaching this module on our diploma courses. I’m aware of many humanistic and CBT therapists who are keen to learn more about Psychodynamic theory and this course aims to bridge the gap providing you with confidence to take these complex ideas into your client work. It is also suitable for the trainee counsellor looking to expand or embed their knowledge.
- Key psychodynamic principles including role of therapist, the therapeutic frame, containment and the ethical use of psychodynamic theory including working with timelines.
- Freud – how we can still draw upon Freud’s contributions in the 21st century, includes working with defence mechanisms and transference & countertransference. Assessing ego strength is an important factor in assessing clients.
- Erikson’s Psychosocial model
- Jung – archetypes and shadow, working with symbols, myth and fairy tales
- Jung – Parts work, anima & animus, working with sex and sexuality in the counselling room
- Klein – Primitive defences, narcissism and erotic transference
- Winnicott – Key contributions & play in therapy
- The oedipal complex and modern day adaptations including use of genograms & Adler’s sibling birth order
- Bowlby & attachment theory
- Relational and transgenerational trauma
You’ll gain a Certificate of Completion from our Centre which you can use to evidence your integrative approach.
A 1000 word journal is required upon completing the training to evidence your learning on the course. You will reflect on areas of psychodynamic theory that has informed your personal development and your professional practice.
You will gain a 50 hour in-house certificate from BCTS. In order to gain your certificate you’ll be required to have completed the self-study learning, the end of course quiz and submitted your 1000 word journal to your tutor.
If you choose to purchase the online 30-hour course only, then upon completion of the training you’ll gain a 30-hour in-house certificate.
April, Tuesdays 9.30-11.30am
Tutor: Mike Carrington
16/4, 23/4, 30/4, 7/5, 14/5, BREAK, 4/6, 11/6, 18/6, 25/6, 2/7
£375 + VAT (£100 + VAT non-refundable deposit required to secure place)
This 50-hour course is for qualified and trainee counsellors.
(required one month prior to start of course)
Self-Study programme only
30-hours of psychodynamic theory to work through in your own time.
This course is for anyone wishing to gain a deeper understanding of human development and unconscious processes.
You’ll be redirected to a 3rd party site to book and start your course
What our students say
“I wanted to take a moment to express my heartfelt gratitude for your exceptional guidance and expertise throughout the course. It has been an incredibly enriching and transformative learning experience. Your passion for the subject matter and your ability to create a supportive and engaging learning environment made a significant impact on my personal and professional growth. I appreciate the depth of knowledge you shared with us.
Moreover, I want to acknowledge the value I derived from the interactions with my peers during the bi-weekly meetings. The sharing of experiences, insights, and challenges enhanced my learning experience and created a truly lovely and supportive community.
Once again, I want to extend my deepest appreciation for your guidance, expertise, and dedication throughout this course. It has been an honour to learn from you, and I am grateful for the knowledge and skills I have gained under your mentorship. Thank you for your continued support and for creating a nurturing learning environment that has truly enriched my professional journey.” Yara
“Such good value for money. As a teacher I know how much work has gone into this. The content is excellent and I feel confident to integrate psychodynamic theory into my client work” Carry
“I feel like I’ve done a mini diploma! I’ve learnt so much” Jay
“This course works! I got 3 questions right on university challenge on object relationships!” Kelly
“I’ve really enjoyed the group discussions and personal development work. This is the best course I’ve done in a long while” Kevin
“Kate has a really good way of making theory come to life in an accessible way. This course has exceeded my expectations” Sue